Monday, April 25, 2011

#20: It's Kind of a Funny Story...

Wow.

If you saw the trailers for It's Kind of a Funny Story..., you still know nothing about the movie. I decided to see the movie on a whim this weekend after seeing the ads. I was looking forward to a nice, light, easy, funny movie about the obvious comedic opportunities provided by a mental hospital. Fortunately for me (but not for some of the people I saw it with), this movie goes much, much deeper than just Zach Galifianakis goofing off in a straitjacket.

It's Kind of a Funny Story... touches on a whole mess of adolescent issues from self-mutilation to suicide to (shocker:) romance. The movie walked a thin line, presenting itself as a comedy but bringing up suicide and other extremely serious issues, opening the door for a whole lot of tasteless, unfunny jokes. I was impressed to find that no jokes were obviously in bad taste and Galifianakis' character had a serious side, which he played impressively well.

It's Kind of a Funny Story... is much more of an indie teen romance than a Hangover-esque comedy. That said, it was funny and I found myself unable to look away. I genuinely liked these characters and wanted to see what would happen to them, a quality far too few movies have.

I'll let you decide whether or not you should see it, but being a sucker for indie movies and having just come out of those teen years and the depression that came with them, I loved It's Kind of a Funny Story...


Overall Rating: 9.2 / 10


-Taylor Dobbs

No comments:

Post a Comment